Monday, September 10, 2007

quality pre-owned vehicles

with the traffic and our heartbeats
beating in straight-time
let our hatred and affection
march in the same line
-Psalm For The Elks Lodge Last Call, The Weakerthans

I may have mentioned the fact that I'm living in Burnaby temporarily.

It's a good life, out here in suburbia, but there are problems when you try to leave. During orientation week, Courtney and I tried many different options including bicycle, motorcycle, van, skytrain, and bus... which actually end up taking similar amounts of time, door to door, except, of course, when you get two flat tires and have to run to the bus route and then run to the hospital from the bus and show up in sweaty bike gear, smelling like stress and covered in grease, 15 minutes late, like I did on my 1st day of clerkship. Yikes!

Anyhow, I've ironed out a few kinks (creases?), bought some panniers and bike shorts and haven't run over any more nails. I always thought people just wore bike shorts in a failed attempt to look cool, until I realized they have padding in them. Soooooo much more comfortable.

I've also been riding the motorcycle on some days I don't have the energy to do 2 hours of exhausting exercise. Riding from Burnaby requires coping with some heavyish traffic for a portion of the commute and assertive biking practices are required to avoid being bumped off the side of the road. Only one guy has honked at me so far for taking up a whole lane. Or maybe he just liked the look of me in my new spandex shorts. Most likely the latter.

No comments: