Sunday, November 25, 2007

drawer full of drugs

The lurid bus started barreling down the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia. Kesey was up on top of the bus to take it all in. He was up there and he could feel the motion of the thing careening around the curves and the road rippling and writhing out in front of him like someone rippling a bull-whip.
This has been my first weekend off since I've started internal medicine and I've attempted to use it to full advantage.

I had dinner with my friend Kate on Friday night at the Naam on 4th st. Kate and I travelled in Ecuador together and haven't had much opportunity to visit since then, so it was most wonderful to see her bright smile again. She is doing her PhD in political science, which sounds pretty intense and it goes for 5 more years. Luckily Kate is a genioso...but still-long road.

Also had a chance to meet up with my old housemate-Trevor, visit 17 of my favourite female hockey players and have more than 2-minute conversation with Courtney. Went for a run, and a longboard and got through a significant portion of the book I'm reading (see quote). It's a book about Ken Kesey (the authour of One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest), his band of followers (the Merry Pranksters), the Hell's Angels, and the Grateful Dead. It's a relatively historical account of the beginnings of LSD and drug culture in the USA. I've decided that if I'm still interested in the subject when I'm 80 or so, I would consider trying some psychedelics. I mean, it's pretty risky when you're young...I've put alot of work into fine tuning my synapses and I'm not prepared to chance screwing them up. But when you're 80, retired, slowing losing your marbles and hanging out in a nursing home going to aquafit lessons? That's perfect! Your health is preventing you from enjoying the athletic and intellectual activities you once did, you might as well go on a long strange trip in your head. People have it backwards, doing drugs when they are young with their brains all big and well perfused.

No comments: