Monday, October 20, 2008

ted's bed

The camera pulls back to reveal your true identity
Look! It's a sheep in wolf's clothing
A smoking-gun-holding ape
-It's a Hit, Rilo Kiley

Well, I was allowed to vote, but it wasn't easy. I'm still not really sure what the problem was. The volunteer initially tried to send me to Nanaimo, but I eventually won her over. I think she bent the rules for me, but in the end, she told me she wasn't sure if my vote would "count". But I marked an X and put it in the box, so take that Duncan-Cowichan Electoral District.

So. Whoop-Dee-Doo. Nothing happened. And we're still stuck with a bunch of monkeys. I read a headline today... "Harper Pledges 100M Towards Climate Change". What a joke. How can you oh-so-totally-miss-the-point? I guess it's really more like make-people-feel-like-we're-actually-doing-something. Depressing.

If you can't tell, I'm angry about the whole thing.

Anyhow, I feel somewhat compelled to talk a little about Proportional Representation (PR). This subject has come back on the radar recently, considering this election summoned the poorest voter turn-out in Canadian history, and that despite most Canadians not wanting Steve to be Our Guy, that's who we got.

Proportional Representation is a system of voting that is somewhat more nuanced than our current First Past The Post (FPTP) system. There are different forms, but it essentially makes individual votes actually "count" and it reflects the actual wishes of the electorate much more accurately. Here is an example based on our recent election as demonstrated by a table on my cousin Jeffy's blog.
PartyConservativeLiberalNew DemocratBloc QuébecoisGreenChristian HeritageIndependent
Popular Vote (%)37.626.210.018.26.80.20.7
Parliamentary Seats (#)143765037002
Number of Seats under a System of Proportional Representation (#)1168156312112

This nicely demonstrates how under a proportional system, things make a little more sense. Like, considering that almost a million people voted for the Green Party, they would end up with 21 seats, rather than 0. But there are arguments against this system, of course. Here are some of those arguments, as laid out by a guy who would stand to lose some of his influence under the new system.

British Columbia and Ontario both had referenda to see if we wanted to switch to this method for our provincial elections, but we both blew it. In BC, the form of PR they chose is called Single Transferrable Vote, shortened to BC-STV. Despite the acronym's uncanny ability to conjure up images of genital lesions, 58% of people in BC voted to change to this system, which didn't quite reach the 60% cut-off. Luckily, we get another chance in May 2009.

Anyhow, I won't blather on. But if you're interested....

Here is good argument for proportional representation by some guy called Ed!

Here is a site about BC-STV

































2 comments:

Jeffy said...

I read the link about Dwight Duncan and why he claims to oppose proportional representation. As you point out, he and other Ontario Liberals stand to lose power if it is implemented, so here's my cynic's read on the situation:

The cynic will not be surpirsed when Liberals and Conservatices oppose proportional representation. She or he will likewise be able to predict that Green party supporters are all for it. What's surprising to a cynic is that other senior cabinet ministers will be voting for proportional representation. Is it possible that they know it's the right thing, even if it doesn't benefit them personally? I haven't heard of the inverse - of a Green party supporter that wants to keep FPTP.

Not that you needed convincing.

Kyle said...

That's true. The thing that I find really convincing, is that almost 60% of population of BC voted for it, despite a pretty spotty advertising campaign and a very complicated system. I had to sit down and read about it for a while before I understood the system and I really didn't think most people would care enough to do it, and just vote for the status quo. I'm hopeful that it will pass the referendum this time.