Sunday, January 04, 2009

poaching lions

So this is the new year
and I don't feel any different.
-The New Year, Death Cab For Cutie

I went home again for the holidays this year. I again felt lucky to have such a nice place to go home to, and such nice people there to welcome me back. I had stuck around for a few extra days in Vancouver after classes ended and did some stuff with Courtney's family. I was driving home by myself on the 23rd, so I offered a ride on craiglist and found someone from Rossland who needed a lift.

At home, I managed to get in quite a few days up at Red Mountain, a day of cross country skiing and spent new years at our cabin on Christina Lake for the first time. I was lucky to be visited by my cousin Dante, his girlfriend Ashley and their dog Jasper. I hadn't seem him in a number of years, so it was cool that he was able to come for a visit. We were also visited by a few of our classmates who were in the area, and I had the privilege of showing them around the ski hill on sunny day. Courtney attempted to fly in Dec 29th, but (pretty much as can be expected in Cancelgar), was unable to due the weather. Luckily she was diverted to Cranbrook instead of being taken back to Vancouver and Air Canada even provided a charted bus to finish the trip. Needless to say it was great that she got in the same day she was trying to, and it was fun to have her see a Castlegar winter for the first time.

Tomorrow, I start a 2-week elective in Urology. I haven't done inpatient medicine in quite a while, heck, I haven't even seen a patient of any kind in a month and half, so I'm feeling a little rusty. I reviewed some basic urology, but if this is like any other surgical rotation, I'm probably in for a shock.

Interviews are rapidly approaching. Let me give you an idea of when I will be visiting you.

Jan 24/25-Calgary
Jan 26/27-Edmonton
Jan 29- Newfoundland
Feb 5- Ottawa
Feb 9- Toronto
Feb 11- Kingston

There may be a few more coming, but that is the core of the tour.

Here are some photos.

This is me in some fresh pow at Red.


The Merritt "Children"

Dante and I chillin' on the porch at the lake

Cortney (the boy) and I making a fresh start to the New Year.

The view from the walk in.


Courtney being herself


Compliments to Trisha for learning to use her new camera so quickly, and letting me have the files.

No comments: