Thursday, September 10, 2009

max barbers stikes again

(lifting and dropping the arm of dead Westley)
-I've seen worse
-Miracle Max, The Princess Bride
Sigh.

Residency is a busy time. I will definitely do more call this year than my 3rd (or 4th) year of medicine, and there is more responsibility to be sure, but it's still way better. In general, things are good here, and I continue to feel that despite being prone to sharp pangs of nostalgia, life gets better and better as it goes on.

I'm sure there is a time when this ends. Sometimes when I am done seeing some poor elderly patient with myriad medical problems and the medications to match, I get a little discouraged and think to myself- "Note to self- don't get too old".

But for now, things are good.

Here are a few reasons why residency is better than medical school.

1. Everything makes a little more sense. Clinical work is much easier because you have more knowledge.

2. Money. It actually is a little easier to be awake all night when I know I'm getting paid for it.

3. Teaching. We have new medical students and we teach them little bits and pieces as we see patients together. It's fun.

4. Belonging. It's probably more a function of being in Prince George, but I feel like I'm a part of the medical community here.

5. Long White Jackets. Way cooler than Short White Jackets.


Other than work, life has been relatively minimal. Went canoeing down the Nechako on Labour day with Cortney.

No comments: