It's like your whole life you think you're a tiger and then you look in the mirror and you're like "I'm a kitten"
-Sarah Armstrong, on discovering she is short
I read this blog on someone else's computer the other day, just to check up on myself I guess, and the font was uncomfortably small and difficult to read. Hopefully it hasn't been like that for any of you. I feel like I've recently discovered some lunch-time spinach in my teeth after a long afternoon of business encounters with important and beautiful women, whatever that feels like. Maybe this is better.
I used to take naps all the time. When I was in undergrad, I would often stay up ridiculously late, go to early class and then sleep for a few hours in the afternoon. Although I eventually abandoned this inefficient, albeit enjoyable, technique, it did teach me the important skill of the cat nap. Although the 3 hour long SLEEP (let's be honest with ourselves), was great, I realized I was unable to waste that much time in the afternoon and that sleeping that long resulted in a sweaty and confused awakening. I learned that I could just sort of doze for 15-30 minutes on my bed and feel great afterwards. The keys for me are:
1. Do not get into bed. It makes your body think it's night time. On top of the covers or the floor is best for me.
2. Read or play guitar first. Guitar is best. Get some bigger waves going on in your head and then lay back.
3. Don't set an alarm. Obviously dangerous, but for me it prevents the slippage into a deep sleep.
4. Get up after 30 minutes.
Since being in med school, I've lived with two working lame-o's who go to bed at 10pm on the dot every night, so it hasn't been too hard getting enough shut-eye. These days, however, I've had some problems staying asleep (during the night), so I'm trying to bring the cat nap back into rotation. It's dangerous, but in the right hands can be a powerful weapon for the forces of good. Also, someone has done some research on the health benefits of napping, which has been in the news recently.
-Sarah Armstrong, on discovering she is short
I read this blog on someone else's computer the other day, just to check up on myself I guess, and the font was uncomfortably small and difficult to read. Hopefully it hasn't been like that for any of you. I feel like I've recently discovered some lunch-time spinach in my teeth after a long afternoon of business encounters with important and beautiful women, whatever that feels like. Maybe this is better.
I used to take naps all the time. When I was in undergrad, I would often stay up ridiculously late, go to early class and then sleep for a few hours in the afternoon. Although I eventually abandoned this inefficient, albeit enjoyable, technique, it did teach me the important skill of the cat nap. Although the 3 hour long SLEEP (let's be honest with ourselves), was great, I realized I was unable to waste that much time in the afternoon and that sleeping that long resulted in a sweaty and confused awakening. I learned that I could just sort of doze for 15-30 minutes on my bed and feel great afterwards. The keys for me are:
1. Do not get into bed. It makes your body think it's night time. On top of the covers or the floor is best for me.
2. Read or play guitar first. Guitar is best. Get some bigger waves going on in your head and then lay back.
3. Don't set an alarm. Obviously dangerous, but for me it prevents the slippage into a deep sleep.
4. Get up after 30 minutes.
Since being in med school, I've lived with two working lame-o's who go to bed at 10pm on the dot every night, so it hasn't been too hard getting enough shut-eye. These days, however, I've had some problems staying asleep (during the night), so I'm trying to bring the cat nap back into rotation. It's dangerous, but in the right hands can be a powerful weapon for the forces of good. Also, someone has done some research on the health benefits of napping, which has been in the news recently.

No comments:
Post a Comment