Sunday, April 15, 2007

hip nostalgia

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth
-Steve McQueen

My time at home was great. I didn't realize it, but I really needed a break from the city. The new house is still in disarray, but pretty functional. Dad and I went looking at bikes, and I bought a pair of boots. We are making progress on that front, and I expect a purchase in the next week or so, but no more stupid details until we actually get one. We walked into the cabin to buck up the trees and spit a few logs. The lake was gorgeous and the water was lovely.

Trevor, Courtney, Lise and I rode our bikes to Stanley Park today. This week, I've been thinking about doing residency in Halifax or something, so I figure I should see a few things in this place before my life ends at the beginning of 3rd year. Unfortunately, the Sun Run was happening today, so the bike ride was bit erratic as we tried to dodge the 50,000 or so humans running around in a big circle. Since I've been a member of the athlete dense UBC medicine program, I've been getting pressure to run in various events. During exams, I run to distill my brain a bit, but otherwise maintain that I don't run in circles. I'm happy to run towards a ball or away from another person, but I don't do circles for circles sake. I have to admit though, there is some solidarity in a big public event like that. Closing down the city and screwing over motorists. I'm into that.

Anyhow, the park is pretty cool. I can see why people like it so much. I kind of hate aquariums and zoos in general, but we went to see the belugas and seals anyhow. It's nice to know the animals get well looked after, but on the other hand, it's sad to see them swimming laps in their relatively small tank. But who knows, maybe they like it. Zoo animals are really the downtown city dwellers of the animal kingdom. Except instead of choosing to spend copious amounts of money to live in a small cage (condo) and run small laps in a synthetic habitat (park), the animals get hand picked for the urban life. Is this how rural folk see urbanites? Selling their freedom for some good cambodian take-out and a tertiary care hospital?

Oh, a video link that Simon sent me. If you like longboarding, check it out. Kind of repetitive though, so no need to watch the duration. You should, however, hold out until they do the tandem tricks. I love longboarding because it's kind of like being in a band. You can wear whatever you want and the really good guys look the stupidest.

2 comments:

Jeffy said...

Dude - we should totally talk before you pick too much residency stuff, in case I still know anything about where's a good place to go... I had a couple friends do maritime residency experiences. I could hook you up if you're interested in their feedback...

Kyle said...

Thanks Jeffy. My maritime plan is more of whim than anything else at the moment, but I will definitely consult when I actually start to having to make decisions next year.