What is that feeling when you're driving away from people and they recede on the plain till you see their specks dispersing?-it's the too-huge world vaulting us, and it's good-by. But we lean forward to the next crazy venture beneath the skies.
- On The Road, Jack Kerouac
Boy, oh boy, Boston was hot. What a great city though.....kind of like Kingston really- but with more universities and less prisons. We ended up staying with Courtney's friend's boyfriend. We were very comfortable in our own room with barlow-esque airconditioning levels, which was pretty sweet after sweating it out sleeping on the couch in Manhattan. I started our first day there meeting up with an old friend of mine from Australia and his lovely wife. We haven't seen eachother since I was there- 8 years ago, so it was pretty cool to catch up. We spent the day doing a bit of sight-seeing...going through the Boston Commons, the Public Library and out to see Harvard. James was an awesome tour guide somehow, pointing out little tidbits like he'd been living there all his life. Great day but HOT, HOT, HOT.
The next day we went to the beach, which I was expecting to be kind of crappy, but was actually really nice. We went north to Gloucester- only 45 minutes out of the city and the sand was white and the water was clear and cold. Not really that cultural but oh-so-nice to cool down and relax- I finished reading On The Road.
We've done a few more things since being back in New York, most notably visiting the Guggenheim and Harlem. Courtney and I went to the Gug together and then she met up with her mom to do some card shopping so I decided to check out Harlem. I'm not sure if I went through the "good part" or the "bad part", but it was something to experience none the less. New York really is amazing that way- so much money and so much poverty. And the racial divide is pretty striking. Once I got on the train to Harlem I didn't see any more white people till I got back to Central Park.
Courtney flew out this morning and I head back tonight. I'm kind of ready to be in beautiful BC again I think, although probably not as much as Katelyn, who has been in Africa for the past 3 months and returns in a week or so. I'll post photos tomorrow.
...and by tomorrow I meant at least a couple weeks later. This is some famous little ducks in the Boston Commons. From front to back: James, Sheena (his wife), Leisha, Courtney.

No comments:
Post a Comment