Sunday, October 14, 2007

abdullah's grimace

So what's the worst thing that can happen? You fail. Right? Yes. And what do you do then? You repeat the year. That's not good right?
-excerpt from "Introduction to Pediatrics" by the clerkship director

Working on the wards at Children's Hospital has been more what I imagined clerkship would be like. Long days, long nights, high expectations, interesting people, funny patients, laughter, tears, the whole shebang. The first week was pretty trying, but enjoyable nonetheless. No doubt it toughens you up. It's often a weird combination of feeling overtired and overstressed but at the same time like you've finally gotten to where you are starting to do the job you've been preparing yourself for. Despite the challenges, I'm enjoying it way more than my cushy outpatient rotation. It's good to be in the action.

Courtney and I are on call different nights so it's often the two-ships deal. I guess this happens to everybody, but the adjustment from undergrad/study life to clerkship is a bit of a shock.

It's tough sometimes but it sure makes you appreciate your life outside. The air never smells so sweet as it does on a clear fall afternoon after 30 odd hours in the hospital.

My exam is in two weeks and then on to internal medicine.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

im really proud of you kyle.