People who say they sleep like a baby usually don't have one
-Leo J Burke
-Leo J Burke
Courtney and I had another sleep accident last night. It used to happen pretty frequently before we had a couch but has since become pretty rare. After coming home last night from dinner at Banana Leaf, we decided to take a little cat nap to energize ourselves before heading out. Next thing I remember is waking up, sweating and fully clothed at 1:30am. I think Courtney would've probably slept all the way through if I wasn't so noisy, stumbling around the apartment in my sleepy stupor.
I'm a fairly decent sleeper but my skillz are nothing compared to Courtney. She's a machine. Once when we were talking with one of her friends who had a new baby, Courtney was worried about her own breastfeeding future because she thought it would be physically impossible to rouse herself in the night. We decided that we would have to design a harness system for her so when the baby woke up and wanted to be fed, I would get up, attach sleeping Courtney to her feeding harness, the hungry baby to the boob, and supervise. I hope for everyone's sake that this won't be necessary.

2 comments:
Babies' cries are tuned to a special frequency that is especially difficult for a parent to ignore. It's like nails on a chalkboard -- you can't not do something about it. Plus, once they start crying, the letdown reflex happens. If your lovely Courtney can sleep through her own baby's particular mewling AND ever-increasing breast-puddles, well... good on her, I'd have to say.
If YOU are able to latch a baby on to a breast which is not your own while one person is screaming and the other one sleeping, that will be even more impressive.
Regardless, when that day comes, I have no concerns about the parenting you will offer your children. You can always bottle-feed at night, in any case. Look at Jeffy - he was exclusively bottle-fed, and he seems to be okay.
And to end on a cliche: no matter what your experience is with other people's kids (and you both have lots), it's always different with your very, very own.
haha, yeah, I think she will manage just fine. If she can wake up to her pager during internal medicine rotation then I'm confident a baby could do just as well. Actually, considering how baby-tuned her hormones have her at the moment, we should really have nothing to worry about. I pretty much hear about every human under 5 years old within 200 ft of our location at any given time :)
Thanks for your comment Sheesh.
Post a Comment