Tuesday, September 30, 2008

porch stitches

I've never been a fan of giving answers. You want to know why.....? Too bad.
-Stephen Colbert

I’m on the ferry now. Watching Mt Baker fade into the haze as we head to Nanaimo, then to Duncan and our next elective of fourth year.

I just flew in from Ontario yesterday afternoon, where I was doing a 2-week family practice elective with my cousin Jeffy. I had initially requested to spend the whole month of September in Halifax, but Dalhousie was only able to find me 2 weeks of elective time, so I had to come up with a back-up plan pretty quick. Luckily, Jeffy bailed me out and agreed to have me come stay and work with him in Kingston. In the end, it was the most relaxed and fun time I’ve ever had working as a medical student. I also got to work on my medical skillz a fair bit, especially in the most important area in primary care medicine. Jeffy is very skilled at communicating what is going on to the patient, and also manages to listen to them at the same time. Sounds pretty simple, but it almost never happens in real life. It was nice to work with someone where you felt satisfied when you left the examining room.

The other benefit was that I got the spend time with Sheesh and the kids. They just get cuter and more fun as they get older (that includes you Sheesh). I also got to visit with my Aunt Marg and Katelyn as well as some old friends in Toronto. All this while getting in some episodes of Daily Show & Colbert and upgrading to a level 6 mage in PuzzleQuest.

1 comment:

Jeffy said...

Thanks for the props and [and more than props] on my mad med skillz.

It was great to have you here. Want to know why? Too bad!

Come anytime.