Thursday, August 06, 2009

push it for me! huh!

You got some back pain?
Hey man, this will relieve it
Two of those and two beers
You better believe it.
-Nice Train, The Donkeys

I'm on obstetrics now and doing 24 hours on, 24 hours off. This kind of messes with your circadian rhythm and I often wake up feeling really hot, or woozy or sick. In general, a "call hangover" is relatively common, regardless of what rotation you're on.

When I was still on Peds, I woke up with a bad headache after being on call and had to hurry into work. As I crashed around the kitchen making breakfast, I went and grabbed a few Tylenol from our medicine rubbermaid.

I found the medication to be quite effective but I was feeling woozy all morning. My preceptor was pimping me in the Neonatal ICU and I just couldn't work through the physiology we were discussing. The headache returned at lunch time and I took some more Tylenol. By the early afternoon I was feeling woozy again and actually quite unwell. I finished seeing my patients, did my dictations and then took off. It wasn't until Courtney came home and offered to get me more Tylenol, did we realize that I had been taking Tylenol #1's (with 8mg of codeine) all day. This revelation neatly explained the effectiveness of the medication and the subsequent brain fog.

It was pretty embarrassing. There is probably a lesson in there for me about how easy it is for patients to make medication errors.

Prince George is still good. Tory came to visit me last weekend which was lots of fun. A week from tomorrow we go to Christina Lake for a week.

1 comment:

Jeffy said...

If you are feeling woozy post call, there's this great medicine that gives you more oxygen and keeps you from being incontinent. It's called Oxy-inContin.