Saturday, August 12, 2006

mid-night killing sprees

I got tired of feeling like Dracula.
I wanted to see some daylight, and not just at six o'clock in the morning

-Kate Moss

I live upstairs in a three storey house.
Heat rises.
There are no screens in the windows.
There are mosquitos that live in Kitsilano now.

I never really notice them before I go to sleep, and have been debating each night whether or not I will risk keeping my window open. Because I can't see any, I decide that I would rather have a cool breeze in my room and risk an insect or two. Over the past three nights, for whatever reason, at three o'clock, they attack. The first night I would just try and swat them away in the dark, but they would inevitably be buzzing by my ear again just as I was about to drift off. Now I just get up right away, turn on all my lights and jump around my room.

bzzzzzz....slap!
bzzzzzz....bam!
bzzzzzzz....smack!

The problem is that by this point, half of them have already had a sample of my tasty blood and aren't interested in me for a little while, but I'm still smearing their blood-filled bodies, all over my walls. Vengeance is a powerful force. By the time I've dispatched about 10 little draculas I'm am so charged up by the hunt, it takes awhile to fall back asleep.

Tonight I'm using my fan to generate a cool breeze with the windows closed.

No comments: