Tuesday, August 08, 2006

view/edit blog

You can't even get 'strength'. 'Strength' is out now.
It's all 'extra-strength'.
Some people are not satisfied with 'extra', they want 'maximum'.
"Give me the 'maximum-strength'."
"Give me the maximum allowable human dose."
"Figure out what will kill me and then back it off a little bit."
-Jerry Seinfeld, I'm Telling You For the Last Time

There are still maybe only 5 people who I have alerted to this blog's presence....one of whom/who, my cousin Jeffy, has been diligently reading AND leaving comments for me (you other 4 take note). As an experienced blogger, he has left me some good tips. Anyhow, I went back over the last five notes and made some small improvements to grammar and linkage...nothing to really go back and look for. Jeffy's commenting has slowly been inspiring me to stop "lurking" and start leaving contents on his blog.

We (Cortney, Courtney, Trish and I), went to my cabin for the long weekend.
We did regular cabin stuff....campfires, swimming, cliffjumping, wakeboarding, quadruple solitaire, etc. Jumping the cliff with Cortney was scary/pretty fun (Cortney is the boy, Courtney is the girl) as I haven't done it for two years. We had a supportive audience on the beach this time (compared to the usual name calling and jeering from the peanut gallery). The weather and the lake had cooled off quite a bit since the week previous, which I found quite pleasant. I had been talking up the temperature of the lake to Trish and Courtney all week, likening it to "soup","bathwater", and "the centre of the earth". Ok, I didn't compare it to the centre of the earth, I just said that so I could tell you that the centre of the earth is apparently the same temperature as the surface of the sun, a "fact" I learnt listening to the podcast edition of Quirks and Quarks, a CBC radio show. I put "fact" in quotation marks cause I'm not exactly sure how one could measure the temperature at centre of the earth...or the surface of the sun for that matter, but I imagine it involves some guessing. I'm questioning whether or not I've talked about this before here, but I've really been getting into CBC podcasts lately. So handy. I've especially been loving the CBC Radio Three podcast, which does a one hour show each week of independant Canadian bands. These shows that have talking in them really aren't the best for trying to do any school/house work, as I find myself stopping what I'm doing in order to be more attentive, but are kickass for long car rides.

Anyhow, the temperature of the lake reminded me of a little trick I had been advocating to Jordan only a week previous that involves lowering expectations and delivering above them. Trish and Courtney, in a condition that appears widespread among females, are chronically cold, so I think they were a little disapointed that the water wasn't a bit closer to their desired temperature...something slightly less than would scald.

Two more weeks of work left and it's defnitely feeling like summer is winding down. It helps that it's cold and rainy outside. No matter what, I'm always looking forward to what's coming up next in my life, although I think I will miss the hours I've been keeping these days. My supervisor said that I had been doing a "pretty good" job of getting my work done, which doesn't seem to be a very glowing summary, considering the "exceeding expectations" comment I got earlier on in my job. Again, I guess I should've paid more attention to where I was setting the bar. Things are looking better now though, as I actually have some things to do (ie- I am currently reliving the joy of procrastination), so hopefully I can dazzle now for the remainder (1st and last impressions are the most important).

No comments: