Wednesday, August 16, 2006

nothing about something

"I've never been a fan of Amphibians. Not only do they strengthen the argument for evolution, they are Nature's fence-sitters. Come on Amphibians, which is it: water or land? Pick one, we're at war."
-Stephen Colbert, The Colbert Report
If this blog isn't scared for its life yet, it should be.

This is my last day of work. I can tell because I received a large chocolate cake with "Thanks!" on it. Due to my difficulty with gift giving , I don't have a gift for my supervisor. I will get one next week.

Which means, of course, that these days of truly having not much to do are over.

Apparently 2nd year is much more time consuming than 1st year. This will most likely be true, as I feel like I had a pretty good head start on my peers last year due to my lifescience degree.

Regardless, I hope to continue posting, albeit at more irregular intervals.

Don't despair little blog! Never forget the hope provided by the gods of procrastination!

I was investigating the possibility of buying some Colbert Report shows on itunes and had to switch to the American version of the music store to view them. Whilst browsing in America, I discovered an ABC show called Kyle XY
and was immediately drawn to it, due to the similarity between Kyle XY's name and my own name, Kyle Merritt.

Unfortunately, it's on ABC family and looks relatively lame. Kyle XY has no belly button, and was found in the woods somewhere acting like a baby so a family adopted him. sure. Anyhow, the whole show is meant to be a mystery, and the website uses the tagline "Who is Kyle XY?".

I have to admit, I am curious as to what made them come up with the XY. I mean, he looks pretty masculine to me. Now, Kyle XXYYYY , that would be an interesting show. Are they just using some of the letters from the tail-end of the alphabaet to evoke feelings of the unknown, like in the X-Files? Personally, I think the lack of a belly button is an excuse for him to lift up his shirt and reveal his so-perfect-I-don't-even-have-a-belly-button-abs.

After briefly perusing the episode descriptions, I couldn't help but liken the plot lines to those of the 80's television show Small Wonder, where a father builds himself a robot daughter, similarly clueless to the customs of human society. Ok, maybe they aren't that similar, but Small Wonder was a wicked show. Ok, maybe it wasn't that wicked, but I do remember this episode where Vicki (The Robot), buys drugs from a dealer at her school, and the parents think it's the human son who owns them. Good episode. I sure felt bad for the son until they discovered the truth.

No comments: