Monday, September 04, 2006

laundree laundray

I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong
-Betrand Russell

Do you ever have repetitive thoughts or sayings in your head that have no explicable origin?

Sounds like an infomercial for an exorcist.

I do. For instance, when I am bored in lecture or falling asleep. Let me rephrase that. When I'm falling asleep, I often have images of people swinging things, over and over. Usually golf clubs, baseball bats or swords. Sometimes it's me, sometimes it's someone more used to swinging things (like tiger woods). The funny thing is that I'm really not good at any sport that requires a swinging motion.

Also, when I'm doing work around the house, I often repeat things in my head. Like when it's time to do laundry, I always say "laundree, laundray". Usually I don't actually enunciate these words, but it definitely goes through my head.
Weird.

I've been having a fantastic long weekend and am just settling down to read a little about the upper gi tract.

The ribs were delish and followed up by a few gin martinis. Had a fun time playing Origins, a board game I was given a long time ago that involves guessing a certain cliche, custom, name or invention once given the origin. You end up learning interesting "useless" facts. Por ejemplo, that the word "news" is derived from the 4 points of the compass, as it means to receive information from all directions.

I hiked up the mountain on Bowen Island with Jazz, Julia, Jordan, Heather and Amira. After the hike, we were invited to Julia's house in West Van for a fresh salmon dinner. Upon arrival, we had a swim in Julia's pool after rinsing the dust off and her dad brought me a beer as I was relaxing in the hot tub. Not long after, her aunt showed up with some appetizers and I found myself sipping on a corona, eating yummy food in a hot tub while looking out over the ocean. It was a nice way to end the day.

This morning, I was recertified to pump on people's chests if their hearts stop beating.

I have continued thinking about international health this weeknd and discussing it with Courtney. I've realized that I will most likely end up doing some short, disaster relief missions, but mostly send money to worthwhile projects. I just think now that either you raise funds and provide help in disaster relief, or you move to Africa and work there for the rest of your life. Although at times I feel so guilty about my north american lifestyle, I guess I don't really know yet why I'm here or what I should do with myself. I have some idea, but I've never really been sure about anything.

No comments: