Everyone likes baseball. Everyone likes parks.
-Javier Rodriguez, Traffic
This morning was one of those times when you wake up and are so tired your brain tries desperately to invent ways that you don't actually have to get out of bed. This morning, it seemed so dark and cold that I started to think that my housemates had played a trick on me and set my clocks an hour ahead. Of course, as the cobwebs slowly cleared, I realized that hypothesis wasn't very plausible. I hiked up the lions yesterday, which was beautiful, but my body definitely needed a few more hours in bed to recuperate. Sitting in lecture today reminded me of pretty much every lecture I went to in undergrad, where I was so tired it was painful. Why did I stay up so late all the time? Seems like cruel and unusual punishment to inflict on oneself.-Javier Rodriguez, Traffic
Just started hematology block today. I think I've figured out that the level of confusion I feel about a paticular subject dictates how excited I am to learn about it. I've been pretty confused about different types of anemias and what they mean, so this should be a good block.
On the way back from the hike on sunday, there was an accident on the Lion's Gate bridge, so we had to take the 2nd Narrows around. I guess it was better than us having an accident actually on the Lions themselves, but I have a hard time dealing with traffic. I think with most of my other frustrations, I manage to keep them in check by telling myself to accept the things that I'm unable to change. With traffic, however, I guess I feel like it is something I don't want to have to put up with, and hope to get away from later in my life. I don't want to become complacent with spending hours of my day on the road. Vancouver has done a great job of providing disincentives for people to drive their cars, but unfortunately has not done enough to provide people with viable alternatives. This term, my family practice placement is in Langley, which takes about an hour to get out to and almost 2 hours to get back from (due to traffic over the Port Mann). So far I've been spending 3 hours transit time for 1.5-2 hours of patients. argh. Although I'm happy with being in Vancouver for a multitude of other reasons, when I'm sitting on the highway, I start to think that maybe the UVic or UNBC programs would've been an alright fit for me.
This is the view from the side of the East Lion, looking North I think towards Howe Sound.


1 comment:
Hey Kyle
Great quote today. Keep up the blog, great way to see how life is treating you, along with a great way of getting my think on.
Either way, (funny thing, I have been using "Either way" alot lately in emails. Its like my go to transition, but I don't think its that great. Really don't know why I am doing it, wiiiierd) I am in town for Thanksgiving, we will meet up, crack jokes about the old days, and have a good time.
Party
T
Post a Comment