and now from Regina, Saskatchewan-the city that rhymes with fun
-Grant Lawrence, CBC Radio 3 podcast
-Grant Lawrence, CBC Radio 3 podcast
Kind of crude, but I thought it was really funny. Sometimes I forget how much my opinion of funny depends on me not expecting the punchline.
Seriously though, if you enjoy Canadian music, especially "indie" Canadian music, you should check out this podcast. It's great! I put "indie" in quotation marks because I'm not exactly sure what it means these days when a million people make albums on their laptops. I guess it's stuff that's not on regular radio. But seriously, who listens to "radio" anymore. Why would I listen to advertising when I no longer have to? That time I used quotation marks to show my disdain for "radio".
Every now and then, my computer connects with its mothership and downloads some updates of various kinds. Usually this means that you have to restart your computer and the application that was "updated" runs exactly the same as before. Today, however, my iTunes was updated and a number of changes were immediately apparent.
1. The music notes in the icon are blue now. I missed the green at first but I'm now getting used to it.
2. iTunes will download all your album art for you, even stuff you didn't buy from them.
3. This is especially important because they've included a new way of browsing through your albums that is kind of like actually flipping through albums. So cool!
I think this new development may actually allow me to reconcile my music buying conundrum.
I have always liked having the actual, physical albums. Mostly because of the artwork, and the back-up copy in case of computer crashage. Also, I still have the perhaps antiquated notion of having a music "collection", rather than just an assortment of random songs. Anyhow, this new iTunes feature really makes it seem like you are leafing through your collection, which I like.
Apparently there are kids t-shirts with "iPoo" on the front in the same font as "iPod". If my cousins neva and hugh weren't growing up at such lightning speed in my absence, and most likely gaining control of their bowels, I would purchase one for them.
It's raining now. This is significant because other than a short sprinkle last weekend, it hasn't rained in Vancouver since i can remember. Great to defray my seasonal affective disorder, but not so great for the risk of everything lighting on fire.
Speaking of which, I was walking behind a woman yesterday who finished her cigarette, stomped on it, checked to make sure it was out, and then left it on the sidewalk. I've never really figured out how cigarette butts are not considered "litter". Anyhow, I really wanted to pick it up and give it back to her, saying something like "Sorry, is this yours?", as if she had just dropped her wallet. I was in pain due to a Charley Horse, late for class, and in a general state of agitation, which at times leads me to do or say inappropriate things that I regret later. Upon reflection, I've decided that this was, indeed, a good idea, and that given another opportunity, I shall go ahead and hand someone their butt. I'll let you know how it goes.
Ok, I lied, I'm still not used to that blue iTunes icon. I want the green one back.
To continue with the disjointedness.
I have been using lots of quotation marks to highlight a trend in society to overuse these bits of punctuation. My theory is that the excessive usuage was triggered by the "laser" joke, used in the 1st Austin Powers movie. I've seen all sorts of inappropriate punctuation in various publications and signage recently. I'm trying to think of examples. I can't. I did remember today, however, that there can be two types of ectopic tissue in a Meckel's Diverticulum that can cause ulcers in that structure, namely gastric and pancreatic. So there. This prompted one of my classmates to congratulate me on being smart as we both used our respective urinals in a very colourful washroom after class. He is the only guy in our class of 250 that I have ever seen smoke a cigarette (something my dad actually doesn't believe). Maybe I'll tell him to pick up his butts. Maybe not so disconnected.
When I first started writing this blog, I was pretty self conscious about the whole thing and wasn't interested in anyone finding out. I even picked a name that was obscure and difficult to spell. I'm pretty much over that now and ready for even my parents to have access. It's a good exercise to just write how you are feeling, knowing that the people you are writing about could potentially be reading your entry.
I think the moral of this entry is that I should try and be blogging more regularly and maybe the entries won't be so long and disjointed.
I've started a little art project in my house where I'm taking a head shot of every person that comes to this house. I like adding photos, so maybe I'll start posting one with each entry. Well, maybe I should get people's consent. This one is of Trevor (my housemate), I don't care if he gives consent.

Seriously though, if you enjoy Canadian music, especially "indie" Canadian music, you should check out this podcast. It's great! I put "indie" in quotation marks because I'm not exactly sure what it means these days when a million people make albums on their laptops. I guess it's stuff that's not on regular radio. But seriously, who listens to "radio" anymore. Why would I listen to advertising when I no longer have to? That time I used quotation marks to show my disdain for "radio".
Every now and then, my computer connects with its mothership and downloads some updates of various kinds. Usually this means that you have to restart your computer and the application that was "updated" runs exactly the same as before. Today, however, my iTunes was updated and a number of changes were immediately apparent.
1. The music notes in the icon are blue now. I missed the green at first but I'm now getting used to it.
2. iTunes will download all your album art for you, even stuff you didn't buy from them.
3. This is especially important because they've included a new way of browsing through your albums that is kind of like actually flipping through albums. So cool!
I think this new development may actually allow me to reconcile my music buying conundrum.
I have always liked having the actual, physical albums. Mostly because of the artwork, and the back-up copy in case of computer crashage. Also, I still have the perhaps antiquated notion of having a music "collection", rather than just an assortment of random songs. Anyhow, this new iTunes feature really makes it seem like you are leafing through your collection, which I like.
Apparently there are kids t-shirts with "iPoo" on the front in the same font as "iPod". If my cousins neva and hugh weren't growing up at such lightning speed in my absence, and most likely gaining control of their bowels, I would purchase one for them.
It's raining now. This is significant because other than a short sprinkle last weekend, it hasn't rained in Vancouver since i can remember. Great to defray my seasonal affective disorder, but not so great for the risk of everything lighting on fire.
Speaking of which, I was walking behind a woman yesterday who finished her cigarette, stomped on it, checked to make sure it was out, and then left it on the sidewalk. I've never really figured out how cigarette butts are not considered "litter". Anyhow, I really wanted to pick it up and give it back to her, saying something like "Sorry, is this yours?", as if she had just dropped her wallet. I was in pain due to a Charley Horse, late for class, and in a general state of agitation, which at times leads me to do or say inappropriate things that I regret later. Upon reflection, I've decided that this was, indeed, a good idea, and that given another opportunity, I shall go ahead and hand someone their butt. I'll let you know how it goes.
Ok, I lied, I'm still not used to that blue iTunes icon. I want the green one back.
To continue with the disjointedness.
I have been using lots of quotation marks to highlight a trend in society to overuse these bits of punctuation. My theory is that the excessive usuage was triggered by the "laser" joke, used in the 1st Austin Powers movie. I've seen all sorts of inappropriate punctuation in various publications and signage recently. I'm trying to think of examples. I can't. I did remember today, however, that there can be two types of ectopic tissue in a Meckel's Diverticulum that can cause ulcers in that structure, namely gastric and pancreatic. So there. This prompted one of my classmates to congratulate me on being smart as we both used our respective urinals in a very colourful washroom after class. He is the only guy in our class of 250 that I have ever seen smoke a cigarette (something my dad actually doesn't believe). Maybe I'll tell him to pick up his butts. Maybe not so disconnected.
When I first started writing this blog, I was pretty self conscious about the whole thing and wasn't interested in anyone finding out. I even picked a name that was obscure and difficult to spell. I'm pretty much over that now and ready for even my parents to have access. It's a good exercise to just write how you are feeling, knowing that the people you are writing about could potentially be reading your entry.
I think the moral of this entry is that I should try and be blogging more regularly and maybe the entries won't be so long and disjointed.
I've started a little art project in my house where I'm taking a head shot of every person that comes to this house. I like adding photos, so maybe I'll start posting one with each entry. Well, maybe I should get people's consent. This one is of Trevor (my housemate), I don't care if he gives consent.


1 comment:
Thanks for the "post". I maintain that quotation marks used this way are only appropriate punctuation when the intent is to convey irony - that the thing being referred to is not actually what the word suggests. For example, We had "supper" at Sheesh and Jeffy's would imply that the food was scarce or of such poor quality that it doesn't deserve to be called supper.
Your headshot idea is a great one - what a cool mural you could make with all the headshots you accumulate over a year.
I'll let you know what geeky clothing you can bestow on our kids (since I cannot get away with it but you might be able to).
Post a Comment