Monday, January 22, 2007

zen lecture etiquette

Death does not concern us because as long as we exist, death is not here.
When it does come, we no longer exist.
-Epicurus

My classmate and biking guru Danny informed me that today is statistically the most depressing day of the year. I'm not sure how that sort of statistic is arrived at, but I wouldn't be surprised.

I'd like to be blogging more, I would say it's a lack of time but I'm finding it more difficult to find the subject material.

Spent the weekend taking it easy for the most part and trying not to hemorrhage money at such a rapid pace. Worked a shift at the clinic on the downtown eastside that I "volunteer" at. Really it's just like family practice placement but the patients are more interesting. I think that if I wanted to practice family medicine in an urban centre I would like to do something like that part time. It seems more challenging in some regards, but I usually find both the personalities and the pathology really interesting whenever I do any addictions/hiv/dtes work. Our DPAS (Doctor, Patient and Society) lecture this afternoon was on health disparities and focused on northern and remote health issues. The lecture failed to enlighten the class on the subject but it did give me an opportunity to daydream about the summer when we get to go on a 4-week family practice rotation to a rural community. I've played with the idea of trying to get placed in Grand Forks and just live at the cabin, but it looks like I will have plenty of time afterwards to spend at the lake. Also, we get a travel subsidy and I want to use it to go somewhere I've never been....hopefully as far north as possible.

1 comment:

Jeffy said...

Never mind the clinic.

The fact that the you're daydreaming in class at all tells me you're well on your way to becoming a well adjusted physician.

Keep up the good work.