When the Devil came
He was not red
He was chrome instead
-Wilco, Hell is Chrome
Still have bikes on the brain. Bought a used jacket from craigslist last night and got some gloves and cool goggles thrown into the deal. Probably saved me 300 bucks. I won't actually use the goggles as I will have a helmet with a face shield, but they are silver and will likely be involved in a costume at some point.
I'm having some difficulty figuring out what bike to buy. I won't have my license until I take the course, which isn't until the end of april. The problem is that now is the time to buy and I'm not sure if it's even possible to get a bike shipped to your house. Still trying to get my dad to sell me his. Seems unlikely at this juncture.
Exam time is soon to be upon us. In an effort to jump start my studying, I spent a few hours in the lab today muddling my way through head and neck anatomy. Everyone likes to complain about something, for me, it's anatomy. UBC tries really hard, but is just generally sucky in this area. We are in a brand new lab, which is great, but it's way too small for the 224 people in our class and there aren't enough prosections or plastinated specimens. Furthermore, this term, climate control broke down twice and the lab was somehow 30 degrees (don't ask me how this is possible in february). With the ratio of students to instructors being about 40:1 when lab is in session and 224:0 any other time, let's just say I'm thankful that I have a good background in the subject. Unfortunately, I didn't do that much head and neck in undergrad, so I'm finally getting an idea of what it must be like for most of the people in my class.
The essence of my lab experience today..
Classmate #1- What do we have to know for the this part?
Me- Umm.....dunno....frontal nerve......nasociliary.....lacrimal.
Classmate #2- Do you think this is the frontal nerve?
Me- *staring blankly at Netter's Atlas* Ummm...sure.
Classmate #1- Do you think we'll have to know the branches?
Classmate #2- Yeah, probably. Do you think this is the supraorbital branch?
Me- Could be.
It can be kind of maddening. Thankfully, some kind souls who knew more than I eventually showed up and took me under their wing.
Forgetting the combo to my locker and spending 30min trying to open it before lab did little to make the visit less inefficient or frustrating.
On a happy note, we got tickets to see the Soweto Gospel Choir on Saturday night for 10 smackers! Yes!
On a dorky note, check this photo I'm about to take of myself. (I shaved my head for cuts for cancer two days ago)
He was chrome instead
-Wilco, Hell is Chrome
Still have bikes on the brain. Bought a used jacket from craigslist last night and got some gloves and cool goggles thrown into the deal. Probably saved me 300 bucks. I won't actually use the goggles as I will have a helmet with a face shield, but they are silver and will likely be involved in a costume at some point.
I'm having some difficulty figuring out what bike to buy. I won't have my license until I take the course, which isn't until the end of april. The problem is that now is the time to buy and I'm not sure if it's even possible to get a bike shipped to your house. Still trying to get my dad to sell me his. Seems unlikely at this juncture.
Exam time is soon to be upon us. In an effort to jump start my studying, I spent a few hours in the lab today muddling my way through head and neck anatomy. Everyone likes to complain about something, for me, it's anatomy. UBC tries really hard, but is just generally sucky in this area. We are in a brand new lab, which is great, but it's way too small for the 224 people in our class and there aren't enough prosections or plastinated specimens. Furthermore, this term, climate control broke down twice and the lab was somehow 30 degrees (don't ask me how this is possible in february). With the ratio of students to instructors being about 40:1 when lab is in session and 224:0 any other time, let's just say I'm thankful that I have a good background in the subject. Unfortunately, I didn't do that much head and neck in undergrad, so I'm finally getting an idea of what it must be like for most of the people in my class.
The essence of my lab experience today..
Classmate #1- What do we have to know for the this part?
Me- Umm.....dunno....frontal nerve......nasociliary.....lacrimal.
Classmate #2- Do you think this is the frontal nerve?
Me- *staring blankly at Netter's Atlas* Ummm...sure.
Classmate #1- Do you think we'll have to know the branches?
Classmate #2- Yeah, probably. Do you think this is the supraorbital branch?
Me- Could be.
It can be kind of maddening. Thankfully, some kind souls who knew more than I eventually showed up and took me under their wing.
Forgetting the combo to my locker and spending 30min trying to open it before lab did little to make the visit less inefficient or frustrating.
On a happy note, we got tickets to see the Soweto Gospel Choir on Saturday night for 10 smackers! Yes!
On a dorky note, check this photo I'm about to take of myself. (I shaved my head for cuts for cancer two days ago)

No comments:
Post a Comment