Trying to speak about reality is like trying to send a kiss through a messenger
-Anonymous
-Anonymous
I recently bought a new winter jacket on impulse. We were walking down 4th and stopped in to look for a fleece for Courtney. I found this nice Northface soft shell jacket that actually fit my unusually long torso. I had been thinking that it would be nice to find a jacket that looked semi-respectable so I could blend in with the other doctor wannabe clones. Anyhow, as you may already be gathering, this sparked a bit of an internal debate. I couldn't (can't) decide whether or not I can justify spending $250.00 on something that I can't really say that I "need". Society keeps telling me that I should keep it....I just don't know whether or not to listen. I won't get into the back and forth that is still going on in my head about this dumb jacket, but it highlighted to me yet again how when my life is running along smoothly, I can spend alot of psychic energy pondering relatively insignificant decisions.
Oh now I remember why I started telling that embarassing story....
Anytime I have a difficult time making a decision, I eventually end up at THE MEANING OF LIFE. I try and reason my way out of things that don't respond well to that instrument and ultimately arrive at the ultimate question.
And so I did something that Erin did for me once when I was at the same spot some time ago. I googled it. I'm not sure if the site that I found is the same one she found, but it's an interesting read. Well, it was for me. It didn't really solve anything, of course, least of all my jacket woes, but I liked it.
Anyhow, I continue to enjoy my meaningless life as it rolls on into infinity....or Week 1 of the Endocrine and Metabolism block (aka Carbohydrates).
So, I keep learning and forgeting facts at school. My ulcer (if that's what it is) seems to be thanking me for my good behaviour (I miss you salsa), and I'm looking forward to the loooong weekend.

5 comments:
Kyle, have you got the dirty GERD-y? You need to get that together or else your curry consumption will suffer!
It's tempting to spend money on a few indulgences in med school - here's a thought for you to put on the angel shoulder or the devil shoulder (your choice). If you happen to be subsidizing your current lifestyle with loans, and will not pay them off until graduation, that $250 jacket will cost you more like $500 by the time you pay for it.
Then again, you can't always go completely without either. Enjoy!
Of course the alternative is to get it paid for Sopranos style. Find some recently minted staff person and get them to pay!
I'm enjoying the whole softshell experience, personally.
It also really depends on how hard it really is to fit your freakishly disproportionate body.
No reflux, just epigastric pain the early morning. I'm H. Pylori negative and don't use NSAIDS, so it's a bit of a mystery.
Indeed my curry consumption, amongst other things, is tragically low.
So you think I am lankier than thou, hey si guy? You don't have similar problems?
Kyle I've enjoyed your stories as they make me feel not so three-province-awayish. This is because I am reminded of how much we are siblings. It's funny but some time ago I had a similar experience if you do remember... where I felt like I needed a new jack that was about $200.00, and the forces of consumerism allowed me to give in. After some prolonged debating-post purchasing, I returned it. At this point in time of my life, I am perfectly content with mom's 30 year old far west even with its lack of waterproofness. And no, it does not so much blend in with all of the other Queen's students but I'm quite happy with my decision. Whenever I have troubles deciding what to spend money on, I think of what I would rather do with that money and usually it boils down into a currency of travelling (aka that jacket is half a trip to the yukon). Another way to do it as I once heard on the news, was if you were to be paid a dollar everytime you wore something, and got repaid within an appropriate time frame- then it's usually worth it. Wow I didn't mean to steal your thunder as my "comment" has turned into a novel. love katie.
Post a Comment