Sunday, October 29, 2006

purple people eater

One man's remorse is another's reminiscence
- Ogden Nash

I guess I should've saved that purple rain quote I used when I was worrying about armageddon for this post. It would've been so much more literal.

This year for Halloween we decided to purple ourselves in the style of Queen's engineers. Trevor was a Frec and had done it before and I was looking for a costume that was visually stun
ning. We tried to find enough Gentian Violet in Vancouver, but they only sell it as 1% solution, so I called up Katelyn and she managed to get some from EngSoc and then UPS'd it to us overnight. We purpled as planned on friday night before going to the Halloween Weepers party at the MSAC (Medical Students and Alumini Centre). Anyhow, it worked, we got pretty purple, and people loved it. The downside, of course, was the extensive collateral damaged sustained to our bathroom, my friend Jazz's house we went to for the pre-party, and the MSAC of course. I guess I had underestimated to ease with which the purple leaves your skin and applies itself to anything and everything that it comes in contact with. Needless to say, we woke up on Saturday feeling pretty bad about the damage we had caused and spent most of they day with a bottle of bleach in hand. Luckily, the caustic chemicals work wonders on most surfaces, although we are still working on getting it out of our skin. I must've left the party a good two hours after Trevor and Sarah and they were still up scrubbing their skin when I got home. Pretty funny.

Bottom line, we are pretty much back to being Caucasian and the major
ity of the surfaces we touched have been restored to their original colour. It was a fun party. Here is one photo, but if you would like to see more, http://ubc.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2037514&id=21013297.



2 comments:

Jeffy said...

You can just go buy violet at EngSoc? I thought it was part of the cult of applied sci that mere artscis couldn't get it.

Kyle said...

I don't know. I do know Katelyn is a charmer. Also, she might have told them we were ALL engineers, instead of just one of us.