Vizzini- No more rhyming now, I mean it!
Fezzik- Anybody want a peanut?
-The Princess Bride
Fezzik- Anybody want a peanut?
-The Princess Bride
We went to see a Queen's Players show last night downtown. Players is a show traditionally put on once a semester at Queen's that involves lots of singing, drinking and dancing. They have played some alumni shows in Toronto, but this was the first time there has been a Players style show in Vancouver. The show itself was funny, and the singing quite good, but the crowd was pretty lame. We were expecting lots of other alumni, but it turned out to mostly be friends and family of the people in the show, most of whom aren't associated with Queen's at all. We tried to get things started to get the crowd into it, but we were largely unsuccessful. At a Player's show, it is entirely normal, and in fact expected to dance on your chair, sing at the top of your lungs, give drinks to the people on stage and then heckle them if they don't drink it fast enough, talk during the show and even get up on stage and join in if required (last night was my first time on stage). Needless to say, the 60 year old parents that were sitting next to us didn't really get into it. They also probably didn't get many of the jokes involving popular sexual innuendo. The show was a fusion of The Apprentice and The Princess Bride. One of the characters was Fezzik, played by Andre the Giant in the movie. It made me remember that he made a lot of dumb rhymes in the movie. Trevor is always making dumb rhymes for no good reason so I think he has just found himself a new nickname.
It was fun to relive the good old days, but as is to be expected, wasn't really the same.
Here's a photo from last weekend at Tiffany and Darren's reception. That's Tiffany, Aaron and Kurt, pretty excited about repeatedly saying "Booooookooooooo".

2 comments:
Is that what Queen's Players was really all about? I'm not sure I ever really got it.
Now I'm more intrigued...
Obviously we needed you there trav, I'm ashamed to say that my shirt was ON during the last number. I actually think some people might have left if we had done that...
We are purpling ourselves for halloween this year. I have never done it of course so I'm pretty excited. We got Katelyn to go to Engsoc and FedEx us some, because they don't sell the powder here. Keep thinking about how you had the newspaper clipping of yourself in full frosh week gear and I didn't even know it was you for a year or something.
Post a Comment