Tuesday, October 24, 2006

dollar bouquets

A little pride always goes along with a teaspoonful of brains
- Mark Twain

In my 2nd lecture yesterday, one of my profs told a story about this physiologist that used to work at UBC. The story was in context of the discovery of the hormone calcitonin, which was explained as having a major role in the regulation of serum calcium. I guess this guy was a prominent researcher and ended up becoming a companion of the order of canada. It was an interesting story, but alot of it consisted of talking about how great of a research institution UBC was, and how we were better than U of T or whatever. I was trying to decide why I was having so much difficulty with this guy demonstrating so much affection for UBC. Was I just a snobby Queen's alumus?

Well, maybe I am, but I realized today that the reason I have such an issue with pride is that it often leads to disinformation. According to Cecil's Essential of Medicine, the actual role of calcitonin in calcium homeostasis is a little unclear. It was actually called "a hormone looking for a function". Why would this guy who lectured us yesterday be bigging up the role of calcitonin? Because he wanted to tell us this story. Because we always embelish when we believe in somebody or something.

Speaking of cheerleaders. Check this out.

2 comments:

Simon said...

There's a lot of chest thumping going down at McMaster too. But we're usually compensating for a bit of an inferiority complex. From what I understand, we get made fun of from coast to coast

Kyle said...

I haven't heard too much mac bashing really. We do PBL though. Don't bite that hand that feeds you or whatever.