Tuesday, July 04, 2006

famous last words

I've never been a paticularly good writer, or even kept a regular journal of my private thoughts. Sentences belonging to many of my compositions have found a litte "awk" floating near their ends. Anyhow, I promise to tell no one of this until I get myself on track with my senses and sensibilities of writing.

What's in the name? A personal statement. A moment of supposed decision that went slightly awry but nonetheless- stuck to. You see normally I would spend days writing down possible self-titles and then evaluate them, constantly wondering if I should go for something that sounds cool, or means something, and eventually decide I need both, which is almost always unattainable, unless you possess a wildly creative intellect. which i do not.

Anyhow, he's a character from a movie. Not my favourite movie or my favourite character. He doesn't even have any extra special lines. Just a cool spelling name.

Some people keep each blog post to one topic but for now I think I shall not.

Over 2 million Americans are incarcerated. That's 714/100,000. According to the World Prison Population Report (I'm going to learn how to link later). Over half of these people are non-violent offenders, most of whom are in the slammer on drug charges (I think, more research pending). Canada clocks in at 116/100,00. Maybe not surprising, but interesting, I thought.

ok. well, to end with a quote is best. I'll pretend it's fitting that we have a not paticularly well spoken character be the first quoted.

"Oh, we were like glory's gate, my darling. We were like that bloody shark of yours, we swam with the... oh, damn it, I had it on the plane. "

-Oseary Drakoulias
(The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou)






No comments: