"Without the top of the mountain, there could be no sides"
-Robert M Pirsig
(Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
I'm really enjoying myself, being in Vancouver for the summer. Met up with Trish, Cortney, Lisa, Lise, etc for a picnic at Kits Beach on friday. Played some good frisbee and sat around, enjoying the music and the people. I'm not very comfortable in crowds, and therefore tend to avoid the beach scene in the summertime, but it was just perfect on friday. Maybe everyone got beached out on the long weekend.
Cortney picked me up early on saturday a.m. and we loaded our bikes in the back and headed up Port Moody way. We first rode and then hiked up Eagle Peak (aka Mount Beautiful) and had some lunch at the top. It as definitely alot more like hiking and less like a stairmaster than The Chief (the hike Courtney & I did last week). This was both good and bad as I tried to enjoy the privacy while my calves burned. Overall, I think we picked the best one for the day out of the 103 possiblities. It's only an hour drive from Kitsilano, and we only saw two other people on the trail and had the peak to ourselves. Had a great view of Vancouver, Indian Arm, Coquitlam Lake and Mount Baker. Went for a swim in the lake afterwards. Abrupt on the hot muscles but magic for my knees.
Today I'm probably gonna watch the deciding match in the World Cup and then chill out for the afternoon and head over to Hylnsky's for a bbq/pool party. I'm usually not that into spectating (see my cousin Jeffy's blog for his(my) opinion on watching professional sports), but I like soccer, and this is the most important game in 4 years, so catching the 2nd half seems reasonable.
Here's a photo from the hike.

Cortney picked me up early on saturday a.m. and we loaded our bikes in the back and headed up Port Moody way. We first rode and then hiked up Eagle Peak (aka Mount Beautiful) and had some lunch at the top. It as definitely alot more like hiking and less like a stairmaster than The Chief (the hike Courtney & I did last week). This was both good and bad as I tried to enjoy the privacy while my calves burned. Overall, I think we picked the best one for the day out of the 103 possiblities. It's only an hour drive from Kitsilano, and we only saw two other people on the trail and had the peak to ourselves. Had a great view of Vancouver, Indian Arm, Coquitlam Lake and Mount Baker. Went for a swim in the lake afterwards. Abrupt on the hot muscles but magic for my knees.
Today I'm probably gonna watch the deciding match in the World Cup and then chill out for the afternoon and head over to Hylnsky's for a bbq/pool party. I'm usually not that into spectating (see my cousin Jeffy's blog for his(my) opinion on watching professional sports), but I like soccer, and this is the most important game in 4 years, so catching the 2nd half seems reasonable.
Here's a photo from the hike.


No comments:
Post a Comment