Sunday, July 16, 2006

I'm so folked up right now

the world owes us nothing
we owe eachother the world
-ani difranco

the editing program on this website is brutal. I think if this continues I'll have to somehow type in word and then copy and paste or something.

Sarah, Coco and I attended the Vancouver Folk Festival yesterday. I keep telling myself to stop talking about the weather, but- the weather was amazing. Beautiful sunshine and a cool breeze. We took in a few small shows in the afternoon, came home for dinner (about a 3 minute bike ride) and went back for the evening shows. Experienced the usual festival indecision (the sensation that despite the quality of the show you are at, there is probably a better show going on at another stage), but saw some really good music reclining in my thermarest chair. Folk Fests are so great for the colourful crowds. I mean, despite all the talk of diversity, most of the crowd is middle aged and white, but in general there are alot of people who couldn't really be bothered to worry about what other people think. it's nice.

We missed a second showing of Afrodizz (surprisingly only 1/8th black) and arrived back from dinner in time to catch Ruthie Foster play her set with some other peeps from texas. She was really good, but the guitarist they had playing lead was amazing...this woman named Nina Gerber who looks alot like a man. Anyhow, some Indian dudes came on afterwards and just played strings which isn't really my thing. After what seemed like a long changeover, Feist appeared and performed a lovely sequence of songs as the sun sank over the mountains. She was followed by an energetic Australian group called Ganga Giri-lots of fun to dance to. The format of each band playing about 45 min long sets was about perfect for me. It's nice to get such a variety.

Another beautiful day here today. Maybe we'll make it down to the beach.

No comments: