I had a velcro wallet in a casino
that noise drove the shit outta me man
you're at the casino losing money
bust out the velcro wallet again
*velcro noise*
it's like the sound of my addiction
-mitch hedberg
that noise drove the shit outta me man
you're at the casino losing money
bust out the velcro wallet again
*velcro noise*
it's like the sound of my addiction
-mitch hedberg
Sometimes I blog because I have something specific I want to write about. Other times I decide it's time for a post and just hope something will come to me mid-keystrike. Now is one of the latter instances.
Do you ever wonder why we get bored? I mean, I spend a fair amount of my time feeling at least a little bored. Overall, I'm still excited to be in medical school, but I often find my mind wandering in class, my mouth wide open and my eyes watering. I also tend to fidget. Courtney says that sometimes, when I'm rocking back or forth in my chair or tapping myself on the face, I look like an autistic child.
Anyhow, even if I find the topic interesting, or at least know it will be useful in the future, I can't help feeling....well....bored. Same thing with just eating a meal by myself. I have a really hard time just sitting there and enjoying my food. I get antsy. I will start reading the cereal box. I will look at the calender and think about what's happening during the week. I will turn on the tv, even though I know that it will only be endless commercials for CHIP Home Mortgages. Seriously though, sometimes I think we all have ADHD these days. Whenever I'm feeling paticularly difficult, I try to imagine shepherds. I'm not saying I dream of sheep herders, I just think of what it must be like to be one. In Ecuador I would see these guys, just sit all day out in the field with their sheep. These dudes have probably lived their whole life in the one village. They don't read books, they don't watch movies, they don't go to school, they don't know anything about world history or philosophy. What do they think about? I can't grasp it.
My landlord is doing renovations on the exterior of the house and he disconnected us from our internet. I went downstairs in a panic once I realized what had happened, but had a difficult time expressing to him just how important to me it was that I had access to this thing we call the inter-web. I had recognized my love for the internet before, but I was REALLY nervous about being disconnected. I started to get annoyed with my landlord, even though he initially didn't even realize he had disconnected us. Doesn't he know that I NEED my connection. He thinks I can be without the internet for a "couple of days"? Uh-uh. Nope. Impossible.
So, you saw it coming, I realized I'm addicted. Maybe I"m just being junkie-optimistic here, but I feel like I can control my use to the point where it's not detrimental to my overall well being. Although right now I should be studying. Eff. Okay, I guess that's all for now.
Oh no, one last thing. If you have been reading, maybe just give me a little message. I don't need much. If you have posted before, then whatever, but if you are a lurker like me, just say hi. That's all I need.

3 comments:
I'm still here, and I have lots to say about this post.
#1. I think that ADHD is probably more of a spectrum-type affliction than an all-or-nothingc phenomenon. Moreover, a little tendency to crave more activity is probably adaptive, only becoming a problem when you're really unable to concentrate on one thing. I suspect that I myself have a little, which is why I thrive on multitasks.
#2. I almost never get bored, because I keep a steady stream of TV and movies coming in. There's a lot of crapola on TV, but there's a lot of excellence, too, and the nature of the internet is that you can just suck up the cream (past or present) onto your hard drive and get to it when you get a moment. You could also buy or rent them. If you see any movies on my blog list that you're interested in, let me know, and I'll send you some.
#3. Addiction implies both dependence and tolerance. You may feel the need to continue to use the internet (the same way you continue to use oxygen), but unless you find that you require increasing doses of internet to get the same response, or feel like the internet is interfering with your life in the outside world, I don't think you have a problem.
#1. Yeah, I'm of the opinion that everything is a spectrum these days...ADHD, Autism, Sexuality, Light....
#2. Do you know how I can get some Daily Show or Colbert Report without subscribing to it on cable? I tried to buy some shows, but apparently it only works in America.
#3. I knew I could count on you to support my use (which has been pretty constant over the past 2 years). Of course I would have to say that the internet enchances my life, and therefore not a true addiction. I guess I was just surprised at how anxious I got when I thought I would be without.
Re: #2
Yeah - I have a pretty good solution for you. Download μtorrent and program RSS feeds to broadcatch the episodes as they arrive. Email me or call me and I'll tell you how.
Post a Comment